As a stay-at-home mom (SAHM) with a passion for blogging, you’re no stranger to the challenge of finding time for your blog amidst the chaos of parenting. The struggle is real, and I get it—I’ve been there too. My almost 3-year-old keeps me very busy, and it can be difficult to find time for the things that I love to do.
In this post, I’ll share ten expert tips that have helped me carve out precious blogging time while managing the beautiful chaos of SAHM life. Whether you’re a new SAHM blogger or looking to refine your time management skills, these practical strategies can work for you.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may make a small commission off of products that are purchased through these links, at no cost to you. You can read more about this process here.
Morning or Night? How to Find Your Peak Writing Time
One of the most critical aspects of carving out blogging time as a SAHM is discovering your optimal writing hours. I’ve experimented with various schedules over the years, and one thing I’ve learned is that finding the right time to write can make a world of difference.
Personally, I’ve found that I’m a more effective writer in the morning. There’s a sense of freshness and clarity that accompanies the early hours, and it allows me to tackle my blog posts with a clear mind. I get my coffee, I set up shop on the couch with a cozy blanket and my sweet dog, and I get to work while the world is still quiet.
However, I understand that not everyone is wired the same way. Some SAHM bloggers are night owls, finding their creative spark ignites when the world around them is quiet, and the day’s responsibilities have settled. It’s essential to explore what works best for you.
Here are a few tips to help you find your optimal blogging time:
1. Experimentation is Key: Don’t be afraid to try different writing times. Perhaps you’re naturally an early bird but want to see if nighttime writing brings a new perspective. Or vice versa. Give it a go and pay attention to when you feel most inspired and productive.
2. Consider Your Child’s Schedule: Your toddler’s schedule plays a significant role in determining your optimal time. If they’re most active in the morning, it might be challenging to focus on your blog. Use their nap time or bedtime to your advantage.
3. Be Flexible: Remember, it’s okay if your optimal time shifts as your child grows. What works when they’re a baby might change when they’re a toddler with a different routine. Stay flexible and adapt your schedule as needed. I don’t think I was getting up before my daughter when she was under a year old and still up every few hours.
4. Harness the Quiet Moments: Regardless of whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, utilize those moments when the house is peaceful. These are golden opportunities for uninterrupted writing.
Ultimately, the goal is to find a rhythm that aligns with both your creative energy and your child’s needs. So, whether you’re brewing a cup of coffee with the sunrise or burning the midnight oil under the gentle glow of the TV, make that time your own. It’s in these moments that the magic of blogging as a SAHM truly comes alive.
Batch Creating Content
- What is Content Batching?
- Content batching is the practice of setting aside dedicated blocks of time to tackle similar tasks or topics in one go. It’s a way to work more efficiently by grouping related activities.
- How to Implement Content Batching:
- Topic Clustering: Start by clustering related topics or tasks, such as parenting tips, product reviews, or personal stories.
- Planning Sessions: Dedicate a planning session to brainstorm ideas, create outlines, and set goals for each post.
- Writing Sprints: Block out chunks of time for focused writing without distractions.
- Editing and Graphics: Separate batches for editing and creating graphics ensure consistency and quality.
- Scheduling and Promotion: Set aside time to schedule posts, plan social media promotions, and engage with your audience.
- The Benefits of Content Batching:
- Improved Efficiency: Batching reduces task-switching and increases productivity.
- Consistency: Maintain a regular posting schedule without feeling overwhelmed.
- Better Quality: Focused sessions lead to higher-quality content.
- More Free Time: Streamlining the process frees up time for family or breaks.
Content batching is a powerful strategy that can help SAHM bloggers manage their time effectively while maintaining a consistent and quality-focused approach to their blog.
Setting Realistic Goals
As a SAHM and a blogger, it’s essential to be kind to yourself and set realistic blogging goals that align with the beautiful chaos of your daily life. While ambition is essential for growth, it’s equally crucial to ensure that your aspirations are within reach.
I think I sometimes need to remind myself that my primary job of being home is to take care of my house and child, and blogging comes after that. At the end of the day, I’ll always choose taking care of my daughters needs over getting an email back on time.
Understanding Realistic Goals
Realistic goals are those that consider the unique challenges and responsibilities you face as a SAHM. They are achievable and tailored to your specific circumstances. These goals reflect not only what you want to achieve but also what you can realistically manage.
Why Realistic Goals Matter:
Here’s why setting realistic goals is vital for SAHM bloggers:
- Less Stress: Attainable goals reduce stress and the feeling of being overwhelmed. They allow you to approach blogging with a sense of calm and purpose.
- Consistency: Realistic goals promote consistency. When your goals are achievable, you’re more likely to stick to your posting schedule and maintain a steady presence.
- Quality Over Quantity: Rather than churning out numerous posts, focus on creating high-quality content that resonates with your audience. This approach often leads to better engagement and growth. Semrush is a fantastic tool to measure your blogs quality and see what content your readers want!
Tips for Setting Realistic Goals:
Here are some tips to help you strike the right balance between ambition and reality:
- Prioritize Your Priorities: Understand your top priorities as a SAHM and blogger. Your family always comes first, so align your goals with your family’s needs.
- Break Down Larger Goals: If you have significant blogging aspirations, break them down into smaller, manageable steps. This makes your goals feel more achievable.
- Track Progress: Regularly review your goals and track your progress. Adjust them if necessary to ensure they remain realistic as your circumstances change.
- Celebrate Achievements: Celebrate every milestone, no matter how small. Acknowledging your accomplishments keeps you motivated and focused. Some things I celebrate are reaching a traffic milestone, breaking past the previous month’s income, or getting a brand deal.
- Seek Support: Connect with other SAHM bloggers who understand your journey. Share experiences and tips for goal-setting and time management. I’ve met so many through WordPress Reader.
Remember that success in blogging is not measured solely by numbers. It’s about the impact you make, the connections you build, and the joy you derive from sharing your thoughts and experiences. Setting realistic goals empowers you to enjoy both your journey as a SAHM and your growth as a blogger. It’s a delicate balancing act that ensures you find fulfillment in every step you take.
10 Tips for SAHM Bloggers
1. Create a Daily Schedule:
- I craft a daily routine that blends taking care of Baby M with blogging time. For me, this means planning activities with Baby M, along with moments to work while she has quiet time. I know that I can create a few pins or send emails while she colors or does Play-Doh, but I reserve writing sprints for time that she’s asleep or not in my care.
2. Embrace Naptime as Blogging Time:
- If you have a toddler that naps, consider yourself lucky! Although naps are a thing of the past, Baby M’s does have an hour of quiet time that is like a secret treasure trove for creativity. It’s when I dive into writing, editing, and responding to comments, all while she reads and rests in bed.
3. Involve Your Child in Your Routine:
- I’ve learned to involve Baby M in my daily routine. While I’m working on my those pins, emails, or less-creative tasks, I set up a nearby play area for her, allowing us to interact while I write. They also don’t take long stretches of focus, which is more inline with my little one’s needs.
4. Leverage Early Mornings or Late Nights:
- If you’re not waking up before your kids, what are you doing? Early mornings, when the house is quiet and Bodhi, our loyal Vizsla, keeps me company, are my sacred writing hours. That’s when I get the bulk of my writing done. Some will prefer to stay up late instead!
5. Delegate Household Chores:
- My partner and I make a great team. We share household chores and childrearing responsibilities. When I’m able to, I head over to the library while my husband puts Baby M to sleep.
6. Conquer Writer’s Block with Creative Breaks:
- When writer’s block strikes, I have an ARSENAL of tools to get over it! Recently, I’ve had no tolerance for writer’s block. A book that has helped me immensely with this is The War of Art.
7. Batch Content Creation:
- When I have free time, I dive into content creation mode. I write multiple posts at once, allowing me to maintain consistency even on busy days. I’ll schedule posts or schedule pins so that I’m always a day ahead!
8. Set Realistic Goals:
- Realizing that my pace as a SAHM blogger is different, I’ve set achievable goals. It’s about quality, not quantity, and I’m perfectly content with that. A great way to set goals as a blogger is by participating in a blogging challenge. One that I’m a big advocate for is Blogtober.
9. Outsource When Possible:
- I’ve discovered the power of outsourcing. It frees up my time to focus on writing and connecting with my readers. Bodhi appreciates the extra walks too!
10. Learn from Experience: Insights from “HOW I FIND TIME TO BLOG AS A BUSY SAHM”
- In my blog post, “How I Find Time to Blog as a Busy SAHM,” I share personal anecdotes and practical strategies that have worked for me on this beautiful, chaotic journey.
How do you balance being a SAHM and managing a blog?
Do you have any tips to add?
Let me know below!