Looking for a side hustle to start after the hustle and bustle of the holidays quiets down?
Being a stay-at-home mom to my vibrant 2.5-year-old, Baby M, has filled my life with immense joy. Staying home for the past few years with her has been an experience I wouldn’t trade for teh world. However, it’s also been a financial sacrifice to live on one income.
I’ve discovered side hustles that not only contribute to our family’s budget but also allow us to enjoy small pleasures, like ice cream outings and dinners with friends.
In this post, we’ll go into opportunities for SAHMs in 2024. These side hustles are designed to align with the demands of motherhood, providing financial empowerment without sacrificing precious parenting moments.
Define Your “Why”
In our journey toward discovering the ideal side hustle for SAHMs, it’s essential to begin by figuring out why you’re doing it. Maybe you’re feeling restless or need extra money. Maybe it’s about keeping busy at nap time or keeping your mind sharp. Figure out what your motivation is.
Outline Your Side Hustle Goals
Is your goal to scale a business full-time? Is it to tide you over until you return to work? Stay relevant in your career field? Keep busy? Creating a business plan, even if you don’t intend on creating a true business, can be very helpful.
Do Your Research
Before jumping into a SAHM side hustle in 2024, it’s vital to do your research. This phase sets the stage for success:
1. Market Demand: Determine if there’s a genuine need for your product or service. Conduct surveys and research trends.
2. Assess Competition: Study your competitors and find your unique selling points.
3. Income Potential: Understand the earning potential in your chosen niche.
4. Legal Matters: Research permits, licenses, and tax obligations.
5. Online Presence: Establish a strong online presence to reach your audience effectively.
6. Networking: Connect with experienced individuals for insights and consider further learning.
7. Test and Refine: Start small, gather feedback, and be open to improvements.
Calculate Your Free Time
One of the first steps in successfully integrating a side hustle into your life as a SAHM is to calculate your available free time. Naturally, balancing the demands of parenting with a side hustle requires careful planning and an accurate understanding of the time you can commit. Here’s how to do it:
1. Create a Weekly Schedule:
Start by creating a detailed weekly schedule that outlines your regular commitments. This includes childcare, household chores, meal preparation, and any other daily routines.
2. Identify ‘Open’ Time Blocks:
Once your regular commitments are in place, identify the ‘open’ time blocks in your schedule. These are periods when your child is occupied, such as nap times, preschool hours, or when they’re engaged in independent play.
3. Consider Support Systems:
If you have support from a partner, family member, or a trusted caregiver, take advantage of these resources to create additional time slots for your side hustle.
4. Assess Your Energy Levels:
Be mindful of your energy levels throughout the day. Some SAHMs may find they’re most productive in the morning, while others may prefer working during naptime or in the evening. I try to wake up at least an hour before Baby M to get in some writing time.
5. Set Realistic Expectations:
It’s crucial to set realistic expectations for the time you can commit to your side hustle. Overcommitting can lead to burnout and stress. I sometimes think that if I’m not working on my house during naptime, i should be working on my side hustles. I always forget to rest!
6. Prioritize and Plan:
Prioritize your side hustle tasks and plan your work during your identified free time blocks. Use tools like to-do lists and calendars to stay organized.
7. Be Flexible:
SAHM life can be unpredictable. Be prepared for unexpected interruptions and changes to your schedule. Flexibility is key to managing both motherhood and a side hustle. Baby M going to a day program a few days a week has been life changing as far as having scheduled time to work!
By calculating your available free time and planning your side hustle activities accordingly, you’ll be able to find a healthy balance between nurturing your family and pursuing your financial goals. Remember that every SAHM’s schedule is unique, so tailor your side hustle commitments to your personal circumstances.
Side Hustles for SAHMs in 2024
- Freelance Writing: Utilize your writing skills to create content for blogs, websites, or publications.
- Virtual Assistance: Offer administrative support services such as email management, scheduling, and data entry to businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Online Tutoring: Share your expertise in a particular subject or skill by tutoring students remotely.
- Blogging: Start a blog on a topic you’re passionate about and monetize it through ads, sponsored content, and affiliate marketing.
- Etsy Shop Owner: Create and sell handmade crafts, jewelry, or digital products on the Etsy platform.
- Social Media Management: Help businesses manage their social media accounts by creating and scheduling posts.
- Graphic Design: Use your design skills to create logos, graphics, and branding materials for clients.
- Photography: Turn your photography hobby into a side business by offering family or event photography services.
- Online Surveys and Market Research: Participate in online surveys and market research programs to earn extra income.
- Pet Sitting/Dog Walking: Care for pets while their owners are away, providing a valuable service for fellow pet lovers.
- Affiliate Marketing: Promote products or services through affiliate links on your blog or social media and earn commissions for sales.
- Consulting: Offer your expertise in areas like parenting, nutrition, or fitness through consulting services.
- Dropshipping: Start an e-commerce store without holding inventory by partnering with suppliers who handle shipping.
- Language Translation: If you’re bilingual or multilingual, provide translation services for businesses or individuals.
- Online Coaching: Share your knowledge and skills as a coach or mentor in areas such as fitness, parenting, or personal development.
- Handmade Jewelry: Create and sell unique jewelry pieces on platforms like Etsy or at local craft fairs.
- Home Baking Business: Turn your baking skills into a business by selling homemade treats like cookies, cakes, or specialty bread.
- Personal Shopper: Offer personal shopping services to individuals who need assistance finding the perfect gifts or clothing items.
- Home-Based Childcare: Provide childcare services for other parents in your community, offering a safe and nurturing environment for their children.
- Event Planning: Utilize your organizational skills to plan and coordinate events such as birthdays, weddings, or corporate gatherings.
- Digital Marketing: Help businesses with their digital marketing efforts, including social media management, content creation, and advertising.
- Furniture Refinishing: Give new life to old furniture by refinishing and selling pieces with unique designs.
- Health and Wellness Coaching: Share your knowledge of nutrition, fitness, or mental well-being as a health and wellness coach.
- Remote Data Entry: Perform data entry tasks for companies that require accurate data management.
- Pet Grooming: Offer pet grooming services to pet owners in your community, especially if you have experience in animal care.
- Voice Acting: If you have a distinctive voice, consider voice acting for commercials, audiobooks, or animations.
- House Cleaning: Provide residential cleaning services for busy individuals or families in your area.
- Online Retailer: Start an e-commerce store selling products of your choice through platforms like Shopify or Amazon.
- Yoga or Fitness Instruction: Become a certified yoga or fitness instructor and offer classes online or in your community.
- Language Tutoring: Teach a foreign language or offer English as a second language (ESL) tutoring to individuals or small groups.
Whether you’re looking to cover extra expenses, save for the future, or simply treat your loved ones to some special moments, these side hustles offer a path to achieving your financial goals without compromising the precious time you spend with your little ones.
Do you have a side hustle? Tell me about it below!