Are you a blogger seeking practical tips on efficiently writing and scheduling blog posts? Well, you’re in good company. In this post, I’ll share insights into my own blogging process.
Whether you’re new to blogging or a seasoned pro, I aim to provide actionable advice to help you overcome common challenges and improve your blogging workflow.
As a part-time blogger, I know firsthand how demanding it can be. Juggling writing, editing, and promoting content while managing the boundless energy of my three-year-old keeps me on my toes.
That’s why having a well-organized arsenal of scheduled content is essential. This post is for bloggers of all levels, offering straightforward guidance to enhance your blogging routine.
Perfecting Time Management
Although it’s my least favorite, let’s dive into a topic that’s as essential as that first cup of morning coffee—time management. Now, we all know that life with a three-year-old (like my Baby M) can be a whirlwind. So, how on earth do you find those precious moments to work on your blog without feeling like you’re pulling your hair out?
First things first, there’s no magic formula here. What works for one parent blogger might not work for another, and that’s okay. It’s all about finding your rhythm in the midst of the beautiful chaos of parenthood.
Here are a few down-to-earth strategies that have helped me, and hopefully, they’ll help you too:
- Naptime Power: Cherish those precious moments when Baby M is having quiet time for focused blog work.
- Morning Glory or Night Owl: Find your sweet spot for productivity—early mornings or late nights—whenever you feel most inspired.
- Playtime Productivity: Blend work and play by setting up a workspace during Baby’s playtime for a bit of multitasking.
- Partner in Crime: Share responsibilities with your partner. Take turns watching Baby, so you both get uninterrupted work time.
- Content Calendar Magic: Craft a content calendar to keep your blog organized and plan ahead, making the most of your productive moments. More on this below!
- Embrace Outsourcing: Don’t hesitate to seek help, whether it’s for graphic design or social media management. Outsourcing frees up your time for the heart of your blog.
Remember, time management isn’t about squeezing every minute from the clock. It’s about making the most of the time you have, and sometimes, it’s okay when days don’t go as planned. We’re all in this together, navigating parenthood, blogging, and life’s beautiful, unexpected adventures.
How to Develop a Content Calendar
Alright, let’s talk about a tool that’s been an absolute game-changer in my blogging journey: the content calendar. Now, you might wonder, “What’s the big deal about a content calendar?” Well, let me tell you, it’s like having a trusty sidekick that keeps you organized, accountable, and on track.
Here’s how I do it, and it might just work wonders for you too:
1. Google Calendar All the Way: First things first, I’m a Google Calendar devotee. It’s like my virtual assistant, helping me map out my content and keep everything in check. I create a dedicated calendar just for my blog, making it easy to see my posting schedule at a glance.
2. Monthly Overview: I start by plotting out my blog posts for the entire month. This means choosing my topics, setting deadlines, and allocating time for research, writing, and editing. It’s a bit like setting appointments with myself.
3. Consistency Is Key: I aim for consistency. Whether it’s posting every Monday, every other day, or once a week, having a regular schedule helps both me and my readers know what to expect.
4. Topics and Themes: To keep things fresh and engaging, I plan out themes or topics for each month or week. This not only helps me structure my content but also keeps my readers intrigued.
5. Flexibility Is Your Friend: While planning is crucial, life with a toddler often throws curveballs. So, I leave some buffer days in my calendar for unexpected surprises or those times when inspiration strikes differently.
6. Visualize and Review: I love how Google Calendar lets me visualize my entire month. I can quickly spot any gaps or overlaps and adjust as needed. Plus, it’s a breeze to reschedule if life gets in the way.
7. Repurpose and Revisit: Lastly, I make sure to revisit and repurpose older content. Recycling can be a lifesaver when things get hectic, and it keeps your blog fresh without burning you out.
Remember, your content calendar is your trusty sidekick. It’s there to help you stay organized, manage your time effectively, and ensure you consistently deliver valuable content to your readers.
Should You Post Consistently?
This post from HubSpot gives a good response to this age-old question.
I’ll add that a lot of anecdotes I’ve read from fellow bloggers suggest putting out as many posts as possible in the beginning, holding nothing back.
Fool around and see what works best for your niche!
How to Schedule a Blog Post in WordPress
It’s really easy to schedule blog posts in WordPress!
- Go to the top righthand side and click on the settings tab.
2. Under “Publish” hit the hi-lighted text that says “immediately”.
3. Now you can choose what date and time you’d like to post!
4. The “Publish” button will change to “Schedule…”, and that’s what you’ll click when your post is complete.
Tips for Balancing Blogging and Family Life
Alright, let’s dive into some down-to-earth tips for finding that balance between being a parent and a blogger. It’s a juggling act, but it’s entirely doable:
- Prioritize Your Priorities: Family always comes first. When it’s family time, be present. When it’s blogging time, focus on your tasks. Prioritize based on the situation.
- Set Clear Boundaries: Establish boundaries with your family and yourself. Communicate when you need dedicated work time, and make sure everyone understands the importance of respecting those boundaries.
- Naptime Productivity: Naptime is like your secret weapon. Utilize those quiet hours for focused work. Whether it’s writing, editing, or planning, it’s your uninterrupted time.
- Family Involvement: Sometimes, your family can be your biggest supporters. Share your blogging journey with them, and involve them when it makes sense. It can be a fun family project.
- Quality Over Quantity: It’s not about how often you blog; it’s about the quality of your content. Don’t stress about daily posts. Focus on creating meaningful, engaging content.
- Automation Magic: Automation tools can be your lifesavers. Schedule social media posts, automate email newsletters, and use technology to streamline your tasks.
- Celebrate Small Wins: Celebrate every blogging milestone, no matter how minor. It’s a reminder of your dedication and achievements, both big and small.
- Network with Blogger Parents: Connect with other parent bloggers. They understand your unique journey and can offer valuable insights and support.
- Flexibility is Key: Life with kids is unpredictable. Stay flexible in your approach. Some days, your plans might need to adapt to the unexpected.
- Be Kind to Yourself: Remember, you’re doing an incredible job. Don’t be too hard on yourself when things don’t go as planned. Parenthood and blogging both have their share of challenges.
Monitoring and Adjusting Your Content Strategy
Now that we’ve covered some essential aspects of managing both family life and blogging, let’s talk about something equally crucial: keeping a keen eye on your content strategy and making adjustments as needed. Here’s how I approach it:
- Track Your Performance: Regularly monitor the performance of your blog posts. Look at metrics like page views, engagement, and reader feedback. This data can be your compass, guiding you in the right direction.
- Listen to Your Audience: Your readers’ feedback is pure gold. Pay attention to their comments, emails, and social media interactions. What topics resonate with them? What questions are they asking? Use this valuable insight to shape your future content.
- Stay Current: The blogging landscape is ever-changing. Keep up with industry trends and emerging topics. Being ahead of the curve can position you as an authoritative voice in your niche.
- Content Calendar Adjustments: Don’t be afraid to tweak your content calendar if something isn’t working. Swap out topics, shift posting days, or add new themes based on your audience’s interests.
- Experiment and Innovate: Keep your blog fresh by experimenting with different formats. Try videos, podcasts, or guest posts. Innovation can breathe new life into your blog.
- Set Realistic Goals: Be mindful of your capacity. As a parent blogger, your time is precious. Set realistic goals for your content creation that align with your family commitments.
- Iterate and Improve: Remember that your content strategy is a work in progress. Learn from your successes and failures, and use that knowledge to continually improve.
- Stay Flexible: Family life can be unpredictable. Stay flexible in your content strategy to accommodate unexpected twists and turns.
- Celebrate Milestones: Acknowledge and celebrate your blogging milestones. Whether it’s reaching a certain number of followers or hitting a yearly anniversary, these moments are worth savoring.
- Seek Support: Don’t hesitate to seek support from blogger communities or mentors. They can offer valuable guidance when you face content strategy challenges.
Have you ever scheduled blog posts? Do you keep a writing schedule?
Let me know below!